Thursday, February 28, 2013

Week 6 post 1


A great web application i use is called Arul's Utilities. http://aruljohn.com He has several utilities that I use while at work. The one I use the most is his MAC address lookup tool. MAC means Media Access Control address. A MAC address is a unique identifier assigned to network interfaces for communications on the physical network segment. The manufacturer of each device, assigns a MAC address. Here is how to find your own MAC address. https://oeb.harvard.edu/support/find_ethernet.html. The reason I use this utility at work is to determine which devices are connected wirelessly to my network. We have a policy, that no staff can add their personal devices to our Wi-Fi. With over 100 staff, it tends to happen. I can block certain MAC addresses. I know if go to this site http://aruljohn.com/mac.pl and enter the following MAC address (D4BED9), it tells me that the manufacturer is a Dell device. All of our office devices are Dell. MAC addresses are 12 characters, but this lookup only needs the first 6.  If there is a non-Dell or unrecognizable device, it is blocked from our network.  This site also has some other great utilities.  Got take a look.

RE: Week 6
Posted Date:Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:52:42 PM EST
Edited Date:Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:52:42 PM EST 
Hi Mike,
This is a very cool web application. It was a little freaky to go to the site and be fully recognized. But, I do like the fact that you can look up IP addresses - very useful. Thanks for sharing.
Robin

---
Author:Michael Carey Jr.

Posted Date:Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:08:37 PM EST
Edited Date:Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:08:37 PM EST

Mike
Great post thanks for sharring

No comments:

Post a Comment